Ok I admit I’ve neglected the blog for a while but I’ve been hard at work on Readapt. I’ve just finished putting together a trailer for an early demo. I have always intended to make a demo to go alongside the full release and this also gives me the chance to get more feedback. The demo features a limited selection of modifiers that are currently in the game and I am thinking of cycling some of the content in future updates.
The trailer I put together shows off the game in motion at 60 frames per second. It’s actually the first video I have edited together too. The other videos I have uploaded are pretty simple in comparison as they consist of raw captured footage with some voice over. Like any first effort it took a little longer than I expected – I also spent a week redoing a lot of game audio. I’m fairly pleased about the result and I felt like I learned a few things about how to put together a trailer. I recorded the footage with OBS and I looked for an open source or free video editor that would be more useful than Windows Movie Maker. I stumbled across an open source program called Shotcut which seemed like what I was after. I’ve always like open source software, it’s free and can often outdo paid programs – I’ve also had good experiences with VLC and Open Office.
At first it seemed like a good experience, Shotcut is a little lightweight in terms of features when compared to professional paid programs but it was easy to pick up and start editing. But then Shotcut would start crashing. All the time. As far as I could tell Shotcut struggled with displaying short cuts to text or struggled with the framerate. Performance also started to chug so I thought something was wrong with my PC. I’m running an i5 CPU and CPU usage was extremely high, so I thought I didn’t have the horsepower to edit video at this quality. After some research though I came across complaints from other users about stability, so I decided to salvage the work I had done and try a different program. This involved exporting clips in small chunks so I could use them later, a task which Shotcut could handle without too much drama.
Next I tried a video editing program called Davinci Resolve, which is a paid video editing program but also happens to offer a “lite” version which has less features. Luckily none of the extra features were required for what I had in mind. I can’t recommend Resolve enough, it’s stable, more featured than Shotcut and had a more streamlined workflow. Resolve also ran great on my machine and seemed to leverage my hardware more efficiently than Shotcut. In hindsight this shouldn’t be a surprise since Resolve is a professional level program and Shotcut is largely being worked on by one person. Now that I had a program that would not randomly crash all the time I could stay focused on editing and spend less time cursing at my monitor.
It’s been nice writing again on the old blog, I want to do another post about a few game development videos I found interesting and helpful. I mentioned them in passing on the Should I Play This Game podcast and I have some thoughts and lesson I want to share. That’s it for now, check out the trailer and the demo and I’ll be back in a week.